Thursday, March 7, 2024

About Content and Trigger Warnings

 

I've seen this conversation come up a few times and have been wondering about it myself. When is it necessary to include content or trigger warnings in books?

I'm currently querying my first novel (please cross your fingers for me that it gets picked up). It's the first in a young adult series that I've already mapped out 5 books for, and I'm thinking I will need to include content and or trigger warnings in most of the books.

Book 1 includes a physical attack on a young gay man. Does that need a trigger warning for gay bashing?

Books 2 on include underage drinking and mentions of sex (nothing explicit). Does that need a content warning, as my target audience is the teen and young adult crowd.

Book 2 also includes questionable consent and Book 4 includes an attempted rape. Those should probably have content/trigger warnings.

I don't know that I've ever actually seen a content or trigger warning in a book. But I also can't remember the last time I read a book that might have needed one or the other. Do publishers have rules about these things? Until I get picked up by a literary agent, I'm not sure who to actually ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment