Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Today's Trope: Enemies to Lovers


I've seen it a dozen times before, particularly in YA romance stories. Two people meet and there's immediate conflict between them. They argue. They fight. They can't stand each other. Then, somehow, someway, that intensity between them turns from anger to passion. Suddenly, without either of them wanting it, they find themselves falling in love.

I tend not to like this particular trope. I don't really like bully redemption stories, and a lot of lovers to enemies stories involve that. I don't really like stories where people are denying their true feelings by acting out in anger, either. It seems disingenuous.

So, naturally, the latest story idea I got and was compelled to start writing down is a YA enemies to lovers romance. *sigh*

As I'm writing it, and getting into the heads of my characters, I'm beginning to understand better how this whole trope works ... I think. My main character is physically attracted to the love interest right away, but dislikes his personality. Meanwhile, the love interest is projecting a negative attitude because he thinks he dislikes the personality of the main character. In reality, both of them are projecting falsified versions of their personality for different reasons. Their true personalities are actually very compatible.

Creating a false persona can be common in teen years, as people are still trying to figure out who they are, what matters to them, and how to fit in with their peers. Judging people on the surface is common as well. Feeling comfortable enough to be yourself around someone can be particularly difficult if you don't feel like you can trust them.

It's difficult to write, though. I want to make sure their growing feelings for each other make sense and feels natural to the reader. The passion they feel for each other from the beginning is actually always an attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment