Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Switching works mid-project

 

So, I am currently querying a YA novel that I intend to be the first in a series of at least 5 books. I'm nearly done writing the 2nd book, have started the 3rd, and have the main plot points down for books 4 and 5. I have plenty to work on with this project and a very good reason to continue to move forward with it, as I imagine literary agents will be more interested in picking up a series if they know the 2nd book will be ready within a year of the 1st being published.

So, what do I do? I set aside my series and begin writing a romance novel, something I've never done before. I hardly even read romance - only if I want a quick, silly, pick-me-up. Sure, I have romantic elements in the stories I write, but I've never made it the focus of the piece. Somehow, someway, working on my YA series and dealing with teen romance inspired me to come up with an adult romance storyline that is quickly turning into a full novel. In 2 1/2 days, I've already written over 20,000 words! If this was NaNoWriMo, I'd be kicking everyone's butts.

I want to finish my YA series, of course. I want to get the 2nd book done soon enough to entice literary agents to pick up the project. But I have to follow inspiration when it strikes. Maybe this romance novel will continue to fly out of me, as it has over the last couple of days, and I'll be done with it soon enough that it will be like I hardly stepped away from my YA series at all. I have to let this play out and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment