Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Changing POVs

 

For the first time, I am working on a story with multiple main characters and switching between their points of view. It's easy enough when they are doing their own things, but they interact a lot throughout the story, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to lead those scenes when either of them could be the focus.

I'm writing the story in 3rd person, as I'm not fond of books that change perspectives but maintain the 1st person narrative. That seemed to be a popular thing with middle grade books when I was young, and I don't want to repeat their mistakes. But that doesn't really solve the conundrum of how to maintain a consistent perspective when both main characters are in the same scene.

I'm thinking it makes sense to introduce one character at the start of the scene and try to keep them the narrator of the scene that follows, even when the other character has a strong role in the action. It's a difficult balance, and I'm not even halfway through my first draft, so I've got time to work it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment