Saturday, March 9, 2024

Wrong POV

 

Have you ever been working on a project and realized you were speaking from the wrong point of view or using the wrong narrator? It happened to me with a new story I came up with yesterday and I was quite surprised. I started writing a YA romance from the perspective of the new kid who comes to town and how he changes the life of the school jerk. But, as I wrote, I realized that too much of the story actually takes place when my MC was not in the room. Yes, he is the catalyst for change in the other character's life, but it's really the love interest's story that needs to be told.

Now I have to rewrite the first 3,000 words or so in order to switch perspectives, but I think the story will make a lot more sense and be more compelling with this change of main characters. Sometimes the story tells you how it's supposed to be written, and we, as writers, just have to sit back and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment